We’ve been baking our own bread for a while now and it’s been saving us a small fortune. I buy 25 kg sacks of organic bread flour from Amazon with free delivery. This week I’ve been teaching my nine and ten year old daughters how to bake bread as they are keen to help out with this chore, who am I to argue?!
My simple bread recipe and method
- 750 g Organic Stoneground Strong 100% Wholemeal Flour
- 2 tsps Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- 600 ml luke warm water
- Put all the dry ingredients into food mixer bowl, mix.
- Turn mixer on slow with dough hook attachment, slowly pour in the olive oil and water.
- After 5 minutes turn mixer off, remove bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Return bowl to mixer, with dough hook on slow setting knead for 3 minutes.
- Divide dough in two and place in bread tins. I use silicone ones so there’s no need to grease, flour or line.
- Leave in warm place for 30 minutes whilst preheating oven to 220°C.
- Place in oven, after 15 minutes turn temperature down to 200°C.
- After another 15 minutes remove from oven, take out of tins and place on a wire rack to cool.
There’s nothing quite like the smell or taste of freshly made bread, if you haven’t tried making it before you should give it a go.